Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Umbrellas:

So, I bought an umbrella the other day. And, to be entirely honest, I'm rather ashamed about it. You see, buying an umbrella (let alone using one) is a sin against my Northwest Washington nature. It goes against everything I believe in, and may even qualify as an act of high treason.

It rains a lot in Washington. And, we deal with it. Outdoor activities are rarely scheduled counting on good weather. In fact, outdoor activities are rarely canceled due to rain. Rain is simply a fact of life.

People in Washington don't actually use umbrellas. Most of the time, we don't even use hoods when it's raining. It rains. People get wet. And, we get over it.

However, Washington rain is very drizzly. Every now and then we'll get a good downpour, but it is extremely uncommon. When it drizzles, it takes a considerable amount of time to actually get noticeably wet when being exposed to the rain. When it pours, we tend to just get soaked. The fact that an umbrella could have kept us dry is entirely irrelevant. We just don't use them.

But, now I find myself living in Provo. It takes me about twenty minutes to walk to school. Under normal conditions, I would have no problems with getting soaked on my way to school when it's raining. However, I also go to church on campus.

I have minor problems with getting soaked while I'm wearing a suit, on my way to church. So I bought an umbrella.

And, now I feel like a traitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment